Articles By THE EDITORS
- "I Wave Good-bye When Butter Flies"
Jack Prelutsky has been charming children and adults with his witty verse for 30 years.
- "There's Something Haunting and Nihilistic About Your Hairdresser"
Previously unpublished letters between Robert Lowell and Elizabeth Bishop.
- 100 Years
- 2000-2009: The Decade in Poetry
How has poetry changed in the past ten years?
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
Classic and contemporary poems to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
- A Children’s What?
- A Life-Long Devotion Pays Off
Donald Hall is appointed 14th poet laureate of the United States.
- A Map of Touches
A showcase of collage artist Tony Fitzpatrick's visual love poems.
- A Year in Pegasus Designs
In honor of Poetry magazine's centennial, we commissioned eleven new pegasus designs from some of our favorite contemporary designers.
- After Tragedy
A forum on poetry as commemoration.
- Anti-Love Poems
For breakups, heartache, and unrequited love. More “screw Cupid” than “Be mine.”
- “I Walk Into the Woods I Made”
Friends and fellow poets pay tribute to former U.S. poet laureate Stanley Kunitz, who died at the age of 100.
- Back to School Poems
School Supplies? Don't forget the poems!
- Baseball Poems
Poems to celebrate the national pastime.
- Basketball Poems
Poetry about great players, unusual teams, and flashy moves.
- Best of 2007
Our year-end list of favorite reads, listens, and looks.
- Birthday Poems
Poems for milestone birthdays and those in-between.
- Book Arts: James Laughlin
- But Will It Sell in Paducah?
From Iowa to Seattle to Portland, we interviewed booksellers to find out what sold during the 2005 holiday season.
- Caroline Kennedy on Learning Poems by Heart
Poems and teaching resources from Kennedy's new anthology.
- Cat Poems
Our feline friends reveal a sensory, and even spiritual, world beyond the human.
- Dog Poems
Our best friends teach us loyalty, recklessness, and caring.
- Evidence of Love
Sina Queyras talks to Poetry about her “Euphoria” poems.
- Expert Advice
Salman Rushdie, Melissa Bank, Michael Lewis, Terry Tempest Williams, and others want you to read this book.
- Facebook Love
For Valentines Day, our Facebook fans picked their favorite poems from our archive.
- Fall Poems
Poems to read as the leaves change and the weather gets colder.
- Fathers Day Poems
A fistful of poems about fatherhood by classic and contemporary poets.
- Favorite Love Poems
Contemporary poets pick their favorites, from the passionate to the political.
- Football Poems
Celebrate the sport with the best pigskin poetry.
- For the Fridge Broadsides
- From 100 Years
Blessings, lullabies, and prayers in the last century of Poetry magazine.
- From 100 Years
Grief and grace in the last century of Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: "A Miscellany of Translation"
- From the Archive: 1959 Indian Issue
Selections from Poetry's collaborative tribute to Indian verse.
- From the Archive: Amy Lowell
Selections from Lowell's image and music-laden poems, first published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Carl Sandburg
Poems that honor the American experience, first published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Daryl Hine
- From the Archive: Dylan Thomas
A selection of Thomas's celebratory, finely-tuned poems, first published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Ezra Pound
Pound's early, incendiary Cantos, first published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Gwendolyn Brooks
Two of Brooks's now-classic poems that first appeared in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Harriet Monroe
- From the Archive: John Ashbery
The poem that spurred his rise to greatness, first published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Karl Shapiro on Reviews
- From the Archive: Long Poems
A selection of long poems from a special double issue of Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Louis Zukofsky
From his groundbreaking Objectivists issue to selections from his masterpiece, "A", works by Zukofsky first published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Louise Bogan
Selections from Bogan's paradoxical, lyrical poetry, first published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Marianne Moore
The first poems by this Modernist poet to be published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: New Poetry
- From the Archive: Rabindranath Tagore
14 of this Indian poet's love poems, first published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Ralph J. Mills, Jr.
- From the Archive: Richard Wilbur
Wilbur's early poems about art, love, and nature that first appeared in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Robert Creeley
Early works from the experimental, minimalist poet, first published in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Robert Lowell
His minor masterpieces, first featured in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Sylvia Plath
Dark, tormented "love" poems; Plath's last works in Poetry magazine
- From the Archive: Vachel Lindsay
Selections from Lindsay's whimsies, first printed in Poetry magazine.
- From the Archive: Vol. 1 No. 1
- From the Archive: Vol. 1 No. 2
- From the Archive: Vol. V No. II
- From the Archive: Wallace Stevens's Poetic Drama
- Gay & Lesbian Wedding Poems
Love poetry to read at a lesbian or gay commitment ceremony.
- Get Well Soon Poems
Poetry from the Poetry Foundation archive to send to a sick friend.
- Graduation Poems
Poems to celebrate and share with your high school or college graduate.
- Harriet Has Arrived
The new poetryfoundation.org blog chronicles the world of poetry, constantly.
- Hear the Essential American Poets
Former U.S. Poet Laureate Donald Hall picked over 100 of the century's best poets—now listen to them read their best work in a new PF podcast series.
- In Memoriam: Ruth Lilly, 1915-2009
The staff and trustees of the Poetry Foundation are greatly saddened by Ms. Lilly's death and honor her extraordinary legacy.
- Inside Game
John Updike answers questions about his poem “Ex-Basketball Player.”
On the 2013 Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize Winner, Marie Ponsot.
- LGBTQ Pride Poems
Lesbian, gay, and queer love poetry to celebrate gay pride.
- Love Poems from Poetry Magazine
Two dozen Valentines, from Yeats to Komunyakaa.
- Mind Over Matter
- Modern Classic: William Butler Yeats
- Mother's Day Poems
13 poems about the enduring bond between mother and child.
- Native American Poetry and Culture
A selection of poets, poems, and articles exploring the Native American experience
- New Year's Poems
Poetry to reflect on the past year and ring in the new.
- New Year's Resolution Poems
Poems to help you kick your habits, get out of debt, and organize your life.
- On Karl Shapiro's “Creative Glut”
- Poems about Children and Parenting
Poems on the joys of parenting babies, toddlers, and teenagers.
- Poems About Fathers
Fathers Day poems about all types of dads.
- Poems about Loneliness and Solitude
Poetry offers solace for the lonely and a positive perspective on being alone.
- Poems about Teaching and Teachers
Poetry about learning, for teachers and students alike.
- Poems Fit to Print
Eight poetry broadsides suitable for sharing or framing.
- Poems for Farewells and Goodbyes
- Poems for Fathers
Skip the tie and give your dad one of these Fathers Day poems.
- Poems for Fathers Day
Poems about enduring bond between father and child.
- Poems for Retirement
Poetry about the joys and challenges of life post-career.
- Poems of Illness
Poems that confront the mystery of sickness and dying.
- Poems of Jewish Faith and Culture
From holiday poems to quiet spiritual reflections, these poems and articles celebrate the interweaving of Jewish faith, cultural traditions, and literary history.
- Poems of Sorrow and Grieving
Classic and contemporary poems about ultimate losses
- Poems that Say Thank You
Classic and contemporary poems of gratitude to send when you’re feeling thankful.
- Poet Photos Portfolio
Unseen treasures from the archives of the magazine.
- Poetry Goes to the Movies
To celebrate the Oscars, a collection of poems about the big screen.
- Poetry magazine cover art from the 1970s: The Poetry Foundation
- Political Poems
Poets lend voices to current events and elections as they critique and defend the social and political issues of their day.
- Queer Love Poems
LGBTQ love poetry by and for gay men, lesbians, and the queer community.
- Robert Hass: The Poet's Poet
Dan Chiasson, Thomas Sayers Ellis, Brenda Hillman, Rodney Jones, and Pimone Triplett recommend their favorite Hass poems.
- Spring Poems
Classic and contemporary poems to celebrate the advent of spring.
- Straight to the Source
Poetry magazine’s editors introduce the Q & A issue.
- Struggling to Stay Above Water
A portfolio of visual work responding to Hurricane Katrina by artist and poet Tony Fitzpatrick.
- Summer Poems
Poems to make you one with the sun.
- Super Mom Poets
Marilyn Nelson and Adrian Blevins talk about being mother-poets.
- The Cranberry Cantos
Thanksgiving poems for family and friends.
- THE NOMINEES ARE: Five Profiles
- The Poet We Are Still Not Ready For
Barbara Guest, New York School poet and biographer of H.D., dies.
- Toasts & Celebrations
Poems to celebrate successes, salute loved ones, and offer thanks for life’s blessings, big and small.
- Twelve Questions for David Baker
On outward symbols of inner coupling and the imagination's powerless power.
- Two Drama Kings Take on a Master
Paul Giamatti and Alfred Molina read "Fra Lippo Lippi" and "My Last Duchess."
- Wall Flowers
Valentines Day poetry broadsides
- War Poems
Poems and prose about armed combat.
- Washington, DC, Poetry Tour
Our nation’s capital through the eyes of its great poets.
- Wedding Poems
Whether you’re the bride, the groom, the officiant, or the maid of honor, you’ll find a poem below that will evoke the perfect nuptial sentiments.
- What to Do About Poetry
The argument that keeps on giving.
- Winter Poems
Perfect for snowy days and long nights by the fire.
- With A Little Help from Dr. Angelou
Resources for teachers for teaching African American poetry.
- Work Poems
Poetry about looking for jobs and working for a living.
- Writing Limericks for Strangers (and Other Pastimes)
An interview with Garrison Keillor.
- Year in Review
Selected quotes from a year of journals and articles.
Report a problem with this biography