Follow Harriet on Twitter
My Poetry Picks for 2013
1. Anne Carson, Red Doc> (Knopf).
Favorite Line: “The moonlit / ironing boards / grandstanding like steeds.”
2. Brandon Shimoda, Portuguese (Tin House Books & Octopus Books)
Favorite Line: “Children were following my retarded stepbrother around the fields”
3. Dara Wier, You Good Thing (Wave Books).
Favorite Line: “Once a black cloth folded forever”
4. Matt Rasmussen, Black Aperture (Louisiana State University Press)
Favorite Line: “A dead man makes / love to the earth / by just lying there”
5. Sampson Starkweather, The First Four Books of Sampson Starkweather (Birds, LLC)
Favorite Line: “Suddenly the field is full of light, and I know a woman is coming to cut my hair.”