1. Mary-Frances applied continual pressure on me to start
the job and helped in recording and editing.
2. Thanks to Sandra for her heroic typing, although this
need not be taken to indicate her agreement with
3. Peter provided information about the notorious
4. As someone who gloried in seeing dogma overturned,
he would have delighted in the irony of seeing
arguments for the reverse.
5. And without their willingness to take on the chore of
responding to our whims and fancies over a 3-year
period, this book would have fallen short of its goals.
6. The production of this tome would have been
unthinkable without the marvelous electronic tools that
are now widely available.
7. However, Chapter 7 was written in a relatively self-
contained fashion, so the serious student may skip
Chapter 6 and delve directly into the theory.
8. The late abbess of Shasta Abbey proved that looking
through different windows into the same room is not a
9. Nick, who is writing a book on oxygen, gave much
appreciated data concerning that element.
10. The filmstrip format employed in Chapter 10 originated
11. I have been very fortunate in being able to use such
12. In recent months, I have often felt like a small child in a
sweet shop as astronomers all round the world have sent
me the most mouthwatering new data.
13. Suffice it at this point to observe that I am not just talking
about wallpaper patterns on shirts and dresses, although
many of these patterns do turn out to have interesting
14. I do not expect that many readers will want to be
masochistic enough to want to read the book in order
from cover to cover.