Thomas Merton, “Dirge” from The Collected Poems of Thomas Merton. Copyright 1946 by New Directions Publishing Corporation. Reprinted by permission of New Directions Publishing Corporation.
Source: Poetry (April 1942).
MORE FROM THIS ISSUE
This poem originally appeared in the April 1942 issue of Poetry magazine
Poems by Thomas James Merton
- Advice to a Young Prophet
- An Elegy for Five Old Ladies
- At This Precise Moment of History
- Birdcage Walk
More poems by Thomas James Merton (21 poems)
- East with Ibn Battuta
- Fable for a War
- How to Enter a Big City
- Hymn of Not Much Praise for New York City
- Iphigenia: Politics
- Le Secret
- Place Names
- The Despairing Man Draws a Serpent
- The Oracle
- The Song of the Traveller
- The Strife between the Poet and Ambition
- The Widow of Naim
- Untitled [1. Now you are all here you might as well know ...]
Your results will be limited to content that appeared in Poetry magazine.