- The Poetry Foundation is pleased to announce that poet W.S. Di Piero has won the 2012 Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize.
The Poetry Foundation is pleased to announce an exciting array of literary events and programs in celebration of National Poetry Month, April 2012.
- John Barr will retire as the Poetry Foundation’s inaugural president at the end of 2012, after nearly a decade of leading the organization.
- The POETRY app is a finalist in the National Magazine Awards for Digital Media. The Digital ‘Ellie,’ awarded by the American Society of Magazine Editors, recognizes innovations in magazine media.
- President of the Poetry Foundation, John Barr, discusses the creative power of poetry.
- Founded in Chicago in October 1912 by editor Harriet Monroe, Poetry is the oldest monthly devoted to verse in the English-speaking world. The magazine celebrates its centennial in 2012.
- In honor of the magazine’s centennial, an unlimited number of free copies of the April 2012 issue of Poetry magazine will be available to book clubs and reading groups that request them by March 23.
- The award is the profession’s highest recognition for excellence in architecture.
- Highlights include the movie premiere of The Day Carl Sandburg Died: performances celebrating Langston Hughes, Walt Whitman, and Allen Ginsberg; and a reading by poets laureate Philip Levine and Carol Ann Duffy.