Dunagan's 25 Points on Lew Welch
Thanks, Patrick Dunagan, for shelling out 25 points on Lew Welch. You should read all 25, but to get you started here's 3-10. Enjoy!
3. When I read Lew Welch I often think about Robinson Jeffers (and vice versa)
“I’m the ghost Roan Stallion” – Lew Welch
4. Both Leos, we’re born August 16th
Sunnylyn Thibodeaux, Lew Welch, and me.
5. “You know Lew always CRIES when he reads and it will ruin the evening.”
–Joanne Kyger. http://jacketmagazine.com/27/w-kyge.html
6. David Highsmith gave me a broadside, “Raid Kills Bugs Dead” for my birthday one year. It’s up in our bathroom. This tag-line, ad copy throwaway, now emblazoned in millions of modern day minds, is attributed to Welch from his 9-5 Chicago workadays.
7. Huey Lewis of Huey Lewis and the News is Welch’s step-son. He sang Welch’s “Graffiti” with his mother in the audience @ SF Public Library. Dig it: http://youtu.be/N5diFN_Gpx4
8. Welch walked off with his gun never to be seen again.
9. Tall and lanky with a bursting head of red describes Lew Welch as if he was a good looking woman.
10. Before any poet bothers to write a poem concerning problems of rat infestation they should be familiar with Welch’s “Buddhist Bard Turns Rat Slayer” especially if they consider themselves to be Buddhist and are a “professor” in the Bay Area.