Articles By AUSTIN ALLEN
- Anne Sexton: “The Truth the Dead Know”
The impersonal power of a confessional classic
- Elegance in Elegy
Gjertrud Schnackenberg’s best poems play form against theme, and then some.
- Lightning and Lullabies
Dylan Thomas was not only a young genius but a genius of youth.
- Prufrock, Lewinsky, and the Poetry of History
How T. S. Eliot’s lovelorn classic still sways us.
- Rumors of the Stars
Why would a poet try to immortalize gossip?
- Their Living Names
Elegies in the letters of Elizabeth Bishop and Robert Lowell.
- Wallace Stevens: “The Emperor of Ice-Cream”
The chilly heart of a whimsical poem
- Wallace Stevens: “Sunday Morning”
The first great flight of a Modernist legend
- Wilfred Owen: “Insensibility”
A reluctant soldier responds to mass tragedy.