Poet in residence at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in New York City from 2005–2009, Charles Martin has been a professor at Queensborough Community College, Syracuse University, in the Stonecoast low-residency MFA at the University of Southern Maine, and at the School of Letters of the University of the South. He has also taught workshops at the Sewanee Writers Conference and the West Chester Poetry Conference.
According to Richard Moore in the Dictionary of Literary Biography, Martin “is known among his fellow poets …as a writer of wit, lyrical delicacy, and compelling form, who has developed an artistic language with which he can deal with fundamental questions in American life.”
- Room for Error, University of Georgia Press (Athens), 1978.
- Fulvio Testa: Watercolors, March 6-31, 1990, Claude Bernard Gallery (New York, NY), 1990.
- Passages from Friday, Abattoir (Omaha, NE), 1983.
- Steal the Bacon, Johns Hopkins University Press (Baltimore, MD), 1987.What the Darkness Proposes, Johns Hopkins University Press (Baltimore, MD), 1996.
- Ferryboat, City University of New York (New York, NY), 2000.
- Starting from Sleep: New and Selected Poems, Overlook Press (Woodstock, NY), 2002.
- Signs & Wonders, Johns Hopkins University Press (Baltimore, MD), 2011.
- (Translator) The Poems of Catullus, Abattoir, 1979, revised edition, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1990.
- Catullus: A Critical Study, Yale University Press (New Haven, CT), 1992.
- (Translator) Ovid, Metamorphoses, Norton (New York, NY), 2004.
Contributor to periodicals, including Parnassus and Poetry.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 120: American Poets since World War II, Third Series, Gale (Detroit, MI), 1992.
- Oxford Companion to Twentieth-Century Poetry in English, Oxford University Press, 1994.
Poems By CHARLES MARTIN
More poems by Charles Martin (18 poems)
- Four for Theodore Roethke
- Heroic Attitudes
- Leaving Buffalo
- Lines Freely Taken from Callimachus
- Love in the City of Light Bent Back
- Orgy with Toads
- Persistence of Ancestors
- Proposal for a Monument of Pears
- Remembering the Box
- Scenes Drawn from Life in Buffalo, New York
- Sharks at the New York Aquarium
- Sonnet ("My paradise, my urban...")
- Work in Progress
LIFE SPAN 1942–