Kenneth Goldsmith's writing has been called some of the most "exhaustive and beautiful collage work yet produced in poetry" by Publishers Weekly. Goldsmith is the author of eight books of poetry, founding editor of the online archive UbuWeb (http://ubu.com), and the editor I'll Be Your Mirror: The Selected Andy Warhol Interviews, which is the basis for an opera, Trans-Warhol, premiering in Geneva in March of 2007. Goldsmith is also the host of a weekly radio show on New York City's WFMU. He teaches writing at The University of Pennsylvania, where he is a senior editor of PennSound, a online poetry archive. More about Goldsmith can be found on his author's page at the University of Buffalo's Electronic Poetry Center: http://epc.buffalo.edu/authors/goldsmith.
Articles By KENNETH GOLDSMITH
- Flarf is Dionysus. Conceptual Writing is Apollo.
An introduction to the 21st Century's most controversial poetry movements.
- I Look to Theory Only When I Realize That Somebody Has Dedicated Their Entire Life to a Question I Have Only Fleetingly Considered
The purposes of repurposing.
- I Love Speech
The founder of UbuWeb talks about writing after the 20th century.
Blog Posts By KENNETH GOLDSMITH
- Conceptual Writing: A Worldview
- Why I Don't Trust the Cloud
- The New Aesthetic and The New Writing
- The Burden of Artists' Crap
- Richard Prince's Latest Act of Appropriation: The Catcher in the Rye
More blog posts by Kenneth Goldsmith (141 posts)
- The Man Booker Prize for Uncreative Writing
- The Soft Grid: A Response to Sina Queyras's Lyric Conceptualist Manifesto
- Johanna Drucker: A Postscript to Beyond Conceptualisms
- Poetry Is Dead, I Killed It: an Essay by Vanessa Place
- CONCEPTUAL WRITING WAS INTRIGUING AND PROVOCATIVE
- Rewriting Walter Benjamin's "The Arcades Project"
- UbuWeb at 15 Years: An Overview
- The Digital Flood: You'd Better Start Swimmin' or You'll Sink Like A Stone
- Six File Sharing Epiphanies
- Archiving Is The New Folk Art
- Language's Newest Role
- Death of a Kingmaker: A Critical Evaluation of Silliman's Blog
- The Bounce and The Roll
- The Meme Museum
- Retyping an entire book is one thing. Cutting & pasting an entire book is another.
- Always Almost Obsolete, Always Almost New
- If I were to raise my children the way I write my books, I would have been thrown in jail long ago
- Your Poems Will Never Go Out of Print!
- The Challenges of Twenty-First Century Writing
- A Textual Ecosystem
- The Zero Degree of Blunt Expediency
- Provisional Language
- Marjorie Perloff Picks UbuWeb's Top Ten for March 2010
- UbuWeb Top Ten for Feb by Christian Wiman
- Women of the Avant-Garde
- Poets: Really, they're the laziest, stupidest people I know.
- The Digerati Strike Back
- The Tortoise And The Hare: Dale Smith and Kenneth Goldsmith Parse Slow and Fast Poetries
- The Voice & Dances of Merce Cunningham
- All Avant-Garde All The Time: The Sounds of The UK
- Conceptualism, Identity Politics & Globalization: A Response
- Flarf and Conceptual Writing in Poetry Magazine
- UbuWeb Featured Resources: David Toop & Pauline Oliveros
- UbuWeb Featured Resources February 2009 - Selected by Dennis Cooper
- The Inaugurable Poem Remixes
- It's Always a Bad Time For Poetry
- UBUWEB :: Featured Resources for the Year, 2008 (+ Jan '09)
- Flarf vs. Conceptual Writing 2
- Flarf vs. Conceptual Writing
- Anthology Spoiler
- 3,785 Page Pirated Poetry Anthology
- UbuWeb Featured Resources Oct. 2008 - Selected by Gary Sullivan
- Conceptual Poetry Conference: Audio and Video
- Conceptual Poetics: On Appropriation
- Conceptual Poetics: Christian Bök
- Conceptual Poetics: Kenneth Goldsmith
- Conceptual Poetics: An Editorial Pause
- Conceptual Poetics: Cole Swensen
- Conceptual Poetics: Tracie Morris
- Conceptual Poetics: Caroline Bergvall
- Conceptual Poetics: Craig Dworkin
- Sentences on Conceptual Writing
- Charles Bernstein Recants
- Marjorie Perloff's Unoriginal Genius
- Concptual Poetry Conference Schedule
- Battle of the Titans
- UbuWeb :: New Addtions, Spring 2008
- Designer Label Poetry
- UBUWEB :: Featured Resources January 2008
- Henri Chopin (1922-2008)
- UbuWeb - New Additions : Late Fall 2007
- UBUWEB :: Featured Resources December 2007
- Repost: In Barry Bonds I See The Future of Poetry
- UBUWEB :: Featured Resources November 2007
- UBUWEB :: Featured Resources October 2007
- UbuWeb Featured Resources Selected by Juliana Spahr and Wayne Koestenbaum
- In Barry Bonds I See The Future of Poetry
- Close Radio (1976-79)
- The Xenotext Experiment: An Interview with Christian Bök
- To Be (Un)Real
- The 365 Days Project, Part 2 (2007)
- These People Have Contributed Materially in Many Ways to Make My Writing What it is. Please Do Not Hold it Against them.
- I Am Unpacking My Digital Library. Yes, I am.
- I Promise To Write Better Poetry
- UbuWeb Radio
- Writing's Crisis v.1.0
- Book Cover Rant
- "I dedicate this work to the U.S.A., that it become just another part of the world, no more, no less."
- 4th of July Break
- Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About UbuWeb
- Frozen Words
- Soy un poeta estadounidense
- The Avant-Garde. Priceless.
- School of Quietitude?
- Pro-Consumerist Poetry
- Pro-Consumerist Poet #1
- Pro-Consumerist Poet #2
- Continuous Texts
- The Carpenters!
- On Responsible Appropriation
- Copyright Discussion
- Goldsmith on Poetry & Copyright
- Poetry & Copyright
- No Sympathy, Please
- UbuWeb: Spring 2007
- Back to The Academy
- A Tad Depressing (Redux)
- Kenneth Goldsmith says that utilitarian poetry fails as art
- The Academy
- Paragraphs On Conceptual Writing
- Kenneth Goldsmith Sings Sigmund Freud
- I Hate Poetry Readings
- /ubu Editions, Third Series: 12 New Titles
- Chelsea, NYC: Tuesday Morning, 11 am
- The End of History
- I Have Nothing To Say And I Am Saying It And That Is Poetry As I Need It
- Open Thread #1: Art & Commerce
- Writers' Studios
- Cecil Taylor
- The Complete Ezra Pound Recordings
- Wrong is Right
- Turning up the Heat
- Scenes from Allen's Last Three Days on Earth as a Spirit
- Hollis Frampton "Zorns Lemma" (1970)
- Shame On You, Mr. Walcott
- Prizes? We Don't Need No Stinking Prizes!
- "Name, a novel" by Toadex Hobogrammathon
- In Sara Mencken, Christ and Beethoveen there were men and women (1944)
- If It Doesn't Exist on the Internet, It Doesn't Exist
- Bad Marriage Mantra
- Andy Warhol channels Gertrude Stein
- Ron Silliman is a Poet
- 9 Versions of Kurt Schwitters’ “Ursonate”
- Journal, Day Five
- Journal, Day Four
- Journal, Day Three
- Journal, Day Two
- Journal, Day One
Audio & PodcastsPoetry Off the Shelf
Avant-Garde All the Time
UbuWeb editor Kenneth Goldsmith takes us on a tour.
How the French avante-garde twisted up and bent language, featuring Rimbaud, Apollinaire, the space age poetry of Ilse Garnier, and more.
Punk Versions of Monkey Chants
And other ethnopoetic marvels, including speaking in tongues, throat singers, and sound poetry.
Listening to the far out sounds of 1970's LA, featuring Chris Burden, Paul McCarthy, and the Kipper Kids, among others.
The Sounds of the UK
A wide-ranging survey of British sound poets and artists from the 1960s to the present, featuring Bob Cobbing, Neil Mills, Liliy Greenham, Chirstopher Logue, Ann Laplantine, and more.
The World of Outsiders
Kenneth Goldsmith shares some insane and profane sounds that lie between Avant-Garde and Outsider Art, including recordings by Jim Roche, Robin Kahn, and Sean Landers.
"There's No Creativity, There's Just Decisions"
Kenneth Goldsmith talks flarf, conceptual writing, and poetry in the age of the internet. Plus, poems by Hailey Leithauser, Sandra Beasley, Tim Dlugos, and Amy Beeder.
LIFE SPAN 1961–