Cole’s many honors and awards include fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Guggenheim Foundation, and a genius grant from the MacArthur Foundation. He is the recipient of a National Jewish Book Award for Poetry, the PEN Award for Poetry in Translation, a TLS Translation Prize, the American Library Association’s Sophie Brody Medal for outstanding Jewish literature, and the 2010 Award in Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. Coeditor of Ibis Editions, Cole has taught at institutions such as Yale University, Wesleyan University, and Middlebury College. He divides his time between Jerusalem and New Haven, Connecticut.
Poems By PETER COLE
Translated By Peter Cole
- from Curriculum Vitae | Translator's Notes
- Each Day | Translator's Notes
- From Whose Beauty the Depths Are Lit | Translator's Notes
- Hymn for the Third Meal | Translator's Notes
- Incantation Against Lilith | Translator's Notes
- Lotem Abdel Shafi
- Peace Be Upon You | Translator's Notes
- Prayers for the Protection and Opening of the Heart | Translator's Notes
- Release, Please | Translator's Notes
- The Nut Garden | Translator's Notes
- To Put It Differently | Translator's Notes
- Where Will I Find You | Translator's Notes
Articles By PETER COLE
Audio & PodcastsThe Poetry Magazine Podcast
Poetry Takes a Walk
New poems from James Schuyler, new translations of Gottfried Benn, plus Peter Cole on walking in Jerusalem.
"you and your olives, me and my rhyme"
Poems by Geoffrey Brock and Peter Cole, plus translations of Marina Tsvetaeva by Jean Valentine and Ilya Kaminsky.
LIFE SPAN 1957–