This Month's Featured Blogger
Each month we invite a different blogger to discuss poetics and craft, influence and trends, and the writing life of a poet.
Recent posts from Amanda
“How are you going to have sex with a carny if you won’t go to the carnival?”
There’s always Carney Lansford…or Carnie Wilson…
1. You catch her on a good day. Usually it is her one day off.
2. Treat the moment as if it is a one night stand.
3. Forget her name.
4. When she calls you where you work and invites you over for dinner try to beg off, which will do you no good. Fatally you will want that sweet thing again.
5. At this point understand you are no longer in control of your life.
6. You will become a junky to a carny’s way of perceiving things through her carnival light eyes even on her days off.
7. She will want you to make her respectable and fight you every step of the way.
8. She will want you to die for her in Alvira Madigan fashion, the classic carny girl.
9. If you are lucky enough to survive the scene you will never forget her face, her dreams. You will be marked.
10. With the stalking get that the love intent is also murderous, as love often is in Menead fashion.
Bon chance at the carnival.
For the record, for what it’s worth, the speaker and her interlocutor were both women, approximately 18-24 years of age.
11. I forgot that the carny never loves the lover as much as she loves the carnival. It amounts to an addiction.
Thanks for this Joel B.
The only carnie I knew personally said: “There are only two types of people. Carnies and marks.”
Posted in Uncategorized on Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 by Joel Brouwer.