Follow Harriet on Twitter
Celebrate International Day of Happiness with Record-a-Poem
What better way to celebrate this second year of International Day of Happiness than by recording your favorite cheerful, uplifting, and happy poem! A little background about IDH:
In July 2011, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a groundbreaking resolution which recognised happiness as a “fundamental human goal” and called for “a more inclusive, equitable and balanced approach to economic growth that promotes… happiness and well-being of all peoples”.
In April 2012 the first ever UN conference on Happiness took place in New York and in July 2012 the UN General Assembly adopted a further resolution which decreed that the International Day of Happiness was to be observed every year on 20 March. It was celebrated for the first time in 2013.
Please go here to find out more about the day and to vote on what you thinks matters most: Money & Stuff, or Happiness & Wellbeing. After that, head to our SoundCloud project “Record-a-Poem” and record any poem you think promotes happiness. Here’s how:
1. Join SoundCloud and the Record-a-Poem Group.
2. Click the “Upload” button, then “Start new recording.”
3. Hit “Rec” and then select the “Allow” box so that Flash Player can access your microphone. The hit the “Rec” button.
5. Record the poem you’ve selected.
6. When you’re done, hit the square button to stop then the click “Upload your recording.”
7. Name the recording following this format: “POEM TITLE” by “POET” read by YOU; add the tag “Happy Day.”
8. Click the “Add to Group” button below the track, and select “record-a-poem.”
9. Keep in mind that we have to approve the tracks before they’re added to the group, so it may take a day before you see it.