NOTES: Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806), first black man to devise an almanac and predict a solar eclipse accurately, was also appointed to the commission that surveyed and laid out what is now Washington, D.C.
Rita Dove, “Banneker” from Museum (Pittsburgh: Carnegie Mellon University Press, 1983). Copyright © 1983 by Rita Dove. Reprinted with the permission of the author.
Discover this poem’s context and related poetry, articles, and media.
Poet Rita Dove b. 1952
POET’S REGION U.S., Mid-Atlantic
Poetic Terms Free Verse
Poems by Rita Dove
- “I have been a stranger in a strange land”
- “Teach Us to Number Our Days”
- American Smooth
More poems by Rita Dove (26 poems)
- Cozy Apologia
- Dawn Revisited
- Fifth Grade Autobiography
- Heart to Heart
- Lines Composed on the Body Politic: An Accounting
- Meditation at Fifty Yards, Moving Target
- November for Beginners
- Reverie in Open Air
- The Bistro Styx
- The Great Palaces of Versailles
- The Secret Garden
- There Came a Soul
- Wingfoot Lake